View Single Post
Old 09-28-2013, 06:23 PM   #15
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowprofile View Post
check out the beginning and 1:40-1:46 . dorsal is almost perfect triangle and has a huge tail. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaQlbLLNwT8
Thanks for that. It actually kinda proves the point.

I can't see enough of the Dorsal to make a identification. You have to see them on profile and all the dorsal shots have too much of an angle.

The tail shots are great though:

Tails are really huge on larger makos.

Note the notch at the upper lobe of the Caudal fin (tail). in this 1300 pound Mako (the current record for So. Cal.)

Here's some from smaller Makos:

White sharks have a much more pronounced upper lobe.

There's a clear difference and the PV shark definitely has the tail of a large local Mako.

I used to live at King Harbor roughly six to eight miles away and chummed sharks right there hundreds of times. That's actually where I first learned how to fish Makos over twenty years ago, doing night chum trips in a small skiff. They are right on top of the outside high spot in the video, and I've fished there. It's the only place I know where you can actually anchor and chum up Makos on a consistent basis. I've seen more Makos right there then I can count and some very big ones. The large ones come through in early June and back through usually in late September or October.

It could be a White but I'd say it's highly unlikely. I've never seen one there, and it's also the wrong time of year. I was pretty sure before but the second video puts it over the top. Known Mako territory, the right time of year for a Mako that size, it's behavior and now the tail are all matches for a large mako. I'd not only say it's a huge mako but judging from the tail it looks like a real monster, possibly even a record breaker.

Jim

Last edited by Fiskadoro; 09-29-2013 at 08:52 PM.
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote