View Single Post
Old 02-15-2011, 07:19 PM   #42
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by dos ballenas View Post
fifty years ago? lets see it.... I love papers from the good old days...
I don't have time to look it up but Sam Gruber was I think the guy who was writing about this back in the sixties. Before him they thought that sharks mainly just fed by their sense of smell. If I remember correctly his definitive paper sharks and their vision was published in 1965, but he was pushing his theories back before that in something like 1961. There is probably some shit about him online somewhere. I first read about him in Scientific America or some other Science mag back when I was fishing Tigers, Hammers, and Bullsharks in the surf in Texas as a kid.

Quote:
...so have you learned anything you didnt already know from the replies to this post?
Nope. Not really, I wish. The article you talked about just kinda backs up what I already knew, though I'm not sure you get that. On the bright side, I could say this thread has given me some insight in regards to you.

How about you... Have you learned anything?

Quote:
You should talk to Keith Poe...
I've known Kieth for almost a couple decades now. I fished with him mainly back in the 90s. I designed and built his bait tank for his current boat, and some other gear, and even painted it for him. I know him pretty well, better then most as I've spent many hours on the water with him. Kieth and I have talked endless hours about every aspect of shark behavior that we could think of. I was already building shark jigs when I first met Kieth, so I'm sure the topic jig color and sharks came up more then once.

Kieth is Kieth: people either love him or sometimes hate him, but deep down he's got a good soul and he just loves to fish sharks. Ultimately when shark fishing really started taking off back in early 2000s Kieth and I took different paths. I used to post all kinds of info about them and just quit. If I'd been smart I would of written a book like Archer and made some money off it, but I basically just quit posting about them online, and giving out info about fishing them, because I was concerned that they were going to get over fished. Kieth felt that by posting he could direct peoples attitudes, and influence them into preserving the resource, I'm far more cynical when it comes to people then he is.

Jim

Last edited by Fiskadoro; 02-15-2011 at 10:49 PM.
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote