Thread: LJ Sunday am
View Single Post
Old 08-12-2008, 01:47 PM   #14
esdees
The Good Clone

I apologize for the thread jack, but here's my story...

I was watching the two fin whales for a bit and they were slowly moving in a straight line, more or less south. I decided I wanted to get a picture and maybe a movie, so I got out my camera and approached them from the north. I stopped about 50' from where they last came up and had my camera ready to go, pointed where I expected them to come up next. Then a 4' diameter circle of water on the left side of my kayak erupted with little 1" fish.

"That's not good."

Before I could react I see what I now believe was the "chin" of one of the whales coming up from below the little fish and my kayak. It surfaced, lifted me up slightly and pushed me to the side. I think it must have seen me as it was coming up and tried to turn back down, just a little too late. I thought for sure I was going over, but I managed to drop my camera in the kayak and brace enough to keep upright. I'm not sure how... instincts I guess.

The other whale then surfaced right next to the first one, 10-15 feet from me. The top of that one's back was about four feet out of the water and I don't think that was even half of it.

I wish I had started taking a video right before that all started. I imagine it would have been pretty funny to watch now. For the rest of the day I kept seeing "whales" in the reflections of the clouds on the surface of the water. My heart skipped a beat every time.

Yet another amazing experience on the water.
esdees is offline   Reply With Quote