View Single Post
Old 01-21-2021, 10:57 AM   #15
JohnMckroidJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAndrew View Post
Here is my downrigger. The leash from the fin of the downrigger ball to the release clip is coiled up because it is about 5' long. Inside the jaws of the release clip (yellow) you see the clip i use to clip onto my fishing line. If a fish pulls hard enough, the clip will release from the jaws and my fishing rod will be disconnected from the downrigger assembly.

The reason my camera stays pointed toward my bait is that my fishing sinker and bait cause drag which transfers through the release clip and leader, to the back of my downrigger ball. Also the basic design of the finned downrigger ball helps to keep it running in the direction of travel.
Sweet. I am surprised that you still have the wire DR line. Swapped mine out for braid to get rid of the humming sound, but after seeing a few of your videos, does not seem like the humming deters the fish at all?

With just a 4lb weight, and the camera mounted on the fin, that is a lot of drag........you must troll super slow? It looks faster in the videos? I am guessing you must be going under 1/2knot for speed to keep everything relatively vertical.

So the purpose of the snap swivel connected in the yellow DR clip is to allow the fish to pull out more line before the weight is released? Otherwise, seems like it would be easier just to attach the line directly to the DR clip.

Looks like you use a 1-6oz sinker about 3-6ft away from your bait? I am surprised at how the fish don't seem to mind the proximity of the sinker. In my heavily fished area off Florida, the "secret" to catching non-migratory fish is to keep the sinker out of sight. For grouper and snapper that means 40ft+ leader. I usually have a 75ft leader on my DR bait and trolling under 1 knot results in triggerfish destroyed baits and missed strikes. I opted for a Blacks DR clip because it resulted in fewer tangles. Kudos for running that rig without getting it all tangled up. Your videos are very inspirational. I am motivated to try your rig out. Thanks.
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote