View Single Post
Old 01-17-2006, 10:08 PM   #2
madscientist

Here's the version I sent to my friends. Keep in mind they don't know the cast, so I left out names. Read the others to figure out which numbnut is which. :lol:

What a trip. Fishing sucked. Got down there around 10:00PM Thursday night. We all started drinking, some more than others as you'll see (I just had a beer), at the dirt road...bad idea. First guy got there ahead of the other three of us, ran into a big mud puddle from the big swells we had a while ago, tried to turn around, buried his rear wheels in sand. As we come in, the guy in front with 4x4 thinks he can make it through the mud. Nope, he's stuck up to the axle in mud. Idiot behind him follows him in his 2wd truck and he's stuck. I was the only smart one that didn't barrel ahead into the mud. With 3 of 4 stuck, including the 4wd that could pull the others, nothing to do till morning. One guy is freaking out (I guess this is known as a Baja meltdown), but the rest of us aren't too concerned. At 1:30AM some guy shows up in our camp and begins a ramblng story of his brother, the Americanos, a professor, the army, and guns. I discretely disappear into my tent, but I guess the nutjob went on till 4:00AM. The next morning I drive in to town with one of our guys that speaks spanish. We try to find a tow truck but eventually just ask some guy with a 4wd. He agrees to help us (nice, wouldn't even take the money we offered) and manages to get the guy in the sand and the 2wd out, but the 4wd is deep and getting deeper. Finally we drive up to a different beach and find a friend of ours that has a big 4wd. Break a couple tow straps but finally get it out.

Reset camp up by our friend, right on the water's edge, and prepare to launch. BIG surf, but some windows. I get out first and only take one over the deck. I think I'm out of the surf zone and just am cruising out when I see a HUGE roller forming up. SHIT, offshore reef break! I throw it into high gear and just get over it before it breaks. The following slam down the backside busts some electrical connection so I'm blind. I turn around and see one of our guys behind me. I think "This dude is screwed". He was. Wave (close to a 4ft face) crashed right in front of him and the whitewater ate him up (rolled in the process) and spit him out, minus 2 rods that broke free. Scary shit. We fished for a couple hours but not much happening other than porpoise, and the south onshore wind picked up so we bailed. Coming in the tide was even lower and several of these offshore reef breaks were formed up. Every 15-20 minutes a big set would come through and suddenly there are BIG breakers where there had been none. 4 or 5 times while paddling in we looked back, said "Holy shit!" and had to spin the yaks to face a big roller head on. Two guys got pushed into the kelp and had to land a quarter mile from our camp because they couldn't risk running the breakers from where they were. 3 of us managed to find a bit of a window and made the dash to the beach. Steve and I got in relatively cleanly but Chris pearled and flipped. All stuff was stowed though so no harm done. Fun evening around the campfire, watching the surf crash.

Next morning it looks a little calmer so we all launch. Head way out around Punta Colonet (Colonet point). Fishing was slow but the grey whales are in full migration. Had one almost surface 10ft in front of me, scared the bejesus out of me. Lots of curious porpoise as well, but nothing but smaller bait fish. Got out about 4 miles, then an onshore wind kicked up and I headed in behind everyone else. Offshore breaks were less but still tricky. The guys on the beach said I came in right at the worse time, but apart from one breaker that came over the back and soaked me, I managed. Still, most white knuckle landings I've had since some night landings in the summer. We pooled our few fish and traded some beer for some fish with the local fisherman and had fish tacos by the fire. And some good tequila that promptly knocked me out. Cold windy night with some rain.

Woke up the next morning to find the surf had built and the wind blowing strong. Everyone agreed to throw in the towel so we packed up and headed out. Ride home was uneventful. Border crossing is slow but painless. I should have some pictures soon. The spot was beautiful and Baja is really a raw, undeveloped place once you get south of Ensenada. Not to be taken lightly but not really scary either, just got to keep your wits about you. Not sure I'd go solo, and its good to have one serious 4wd truck in the group (if he doesn't get stuck himself), but I'll definitely do it again. I think we may all go for memorial weekend when the surf should be calmer and the fish more active.

Cheers!
Brad
madscientist is offline   Reply With Quote