View Single Post
Old 05-10-2006, 07:18 PM   #1
Aaron&Julie

Finally in on the action (May 8th)

Rather late post for Monday, but here goes.
We launched early to make bait at the pier, greenies and a few spanish.
Headed south, and started in front of the big "condo", both of us trolling a mack high and low. Minutes later, Aaron's clicker goes off on the low one. Let it run, engage, wait for it to load, bait pulls with no hook-up. Seconds later, his top clicker goes off, with the same result. Then we spotted the seal. Bigger, smarter and faster than the youngsters all around. Within a minute, Julie seems to be on a fish, which turns out to be that very same seal. He was quick.
With that hope being dashed, we head off to begin trolling. He starts following us, the greedy bastard. We decide to troll our new b/w mackeral Storm plugs (Julie picked up at Walmart for about $6 each), to at least have a chance at a fish.
Finally, when we don't see him anymore, we put out fly-lined macks to join the plug. Head in the direction of "the corner".
Fifteen minutes into the troll, Aaron hooks up on the plug, Julie on her fly-lined mack, a double going. Aaron's fish makes a couple of runs near the surface, then the fish goes straight down with strong runs. But, it didn't feel like a yellow, so he's pretty sure it's a white. Minutes later, after working him up, he's rewarded with his first white of the year, at 37lbs2oz (male). Julie was having a similiar fight with her fish, but as Aaron yells across the water, "I got mine", Julie yells back "I just lost mine". She came unbuttoned the same second he gaffed his. So we gained a 50/50 victory.
Camera problems ruined the on the water photos, so here's the cheezy driveway photo of Aaron's fish:

Sorry for the poor quality, but here's the plug used to catch him(notice the angle on one of the front treble hooks):

It was beautiful morning out there, but we had no further action. Landed at 11:30AM, to get Juie to school on time.
We're glad to finally get in on the action.