View Single Post
Old 02-23-2016, 01:25 PM   #1
pingpangdang

Hawaiian kage spear gaff revisted

Digging up in the forums there were posts in 2011 and 13 regarding DIY Kage gaffs. I have not seen any videos of anyone using one in LJ.

For those that experimented on making and trying one of these I'm interested in hearing your thoughts on them now.

Looking at the HI yak videos it looked pretty legit getting fish into the yak. The spear has to be threaded to keep the fish on the spear so they stay on when you pull them into the yak.

Mainly curious to see if anyone has mastered landing an HB with a Kage maybe it's less complicated with a brain shot? Instant stunner?

Some are against kages saying there will be a bunch of fish with holes in them coming off the hook. But I think that your chance of losing a fish w/ a kage shot would increase only if you didn't have the threads that serve much like the hook on a gaff. I've seen a few videos of HBs going crazy swimming away w/ regular gaffs still stuck in them so either methods could have arguments.

I've also seen someone take 4" aluminum rod with a sharpened tip used as a harpoon. The rod had a hole drilled in the middle w/ a wire attached to it connected to the insertion handle....an old fishing rod. So essentially spear through the HB then the aluminum rod turns sideways once it goes throught the fish when the wire is pulled on. Not even sure if that is legal.

I'd rather not use any type of gaff if possible but if I hook up with an HB I don't think I have a choice right?

For YT or WSB can I just tail them? I have a kung fu grip! Maybe grab that big tail on a YT while using my shin/foot to get under it and flip him in the yak? Or is gilling better? I figure if I can hold on to the tail and lift the tail out the water it is not swimming anywhere...just would have to deal w/ the slime and shakes which I have no clue on how intense that will be.

If you have some footage using a kage on an HB or you tail leg flipped in a YT send me the video link or share your story!

Thx

Last edited by pingpangdang; 02-23-2016 at 01:32 PM.
pingpangdang is offline   Reply With Quote