View Single Post
Old 09-12-2011, 08:18 AM   #14
YakMedic

Quote:
Originally Posted by John M View Post
My day was very memorable.
I caught a bunch of greenies and stated trolling.
Made my way out to the NW corner, hooked and landed a YT. Could feel the kelp popping as my spectra cut through it.
Had fish in my lap and secured with my stringer.
Cleaned up the deck and proceded to put fish in tank well.
I turned sideways on yak with my feet in water, grabbed fish and dipped it into the water as I got set to put in back.
Just then something grabs and pulls fish and me into the water. Yak is flipped. I try to right yak but can't pull it back over because something is pulling down on the fish tied to the otherside of the yak. At this point I decide it is time to get out of the water since I still have not seen what is pulling on the fish( taxman, Seal,???). Crawl on top of upside down yak.
Adi and Iceman show up and help me figure out what is going on.
See that it is a large Knothead Sealion so I got into water and right yak.
Seal is still pulling on fish but lets go so I am able to pull YT back on board.
All equip except dykes and a bait knife are leashed so did not lose anything.
Spent about 15 min to get all the equip back in the right place.
Knothead hung around for about 10 mins looking for a free meal. But no way that was my fish!!
My shirt and pants in waders were wet but had so much adrenaline was not cold.
Continued to fish till about 10:00. Got too cold so headed to shore and dry clothes.
Went to park and the YT came out to 23.69 lbs.
Missed 2nd(23.9).
Ended 3rd place with a great looking beer stein and $350.00 cash.
During the awards when I was up getting the stein & $'s from Matt, Adi starts yelling "Flipper, Flipper", hope that name doesn't stick.

Food was great and ceviche off the hook. Thanks to Coco's for the pies, they were great too.

Thanks to all the Moyers(The whole family was there helping out) & Jim for another great event. Hope it will return for many more years.

John
Awesome job flipper
YakMedic is offline   Reply With Quote