View Single Post
Old 08-08-2005, 06:27 PM   #9
Iceman
Administrator

Grego, the Booyaa gear is like fishing in silk pajamas. I love that stuff!

Silverbullet, you do need to upload your pics on a photo site, like Moment of Fame or My fishing pics.

Tom, I am a total newbie to Alaska. I expected the misquitos to be bad, but never got one bite. Most of the stuff you can get up there. We found Safeway to have the best prices on tackle. In the rivers you will want hip boots at least and felt bottom shoes would be great as the rocks are slippery. As far as the rest of your clothes, good raingear, and layers, like fleece over a t shirt, when the sun did come out we were in t shirts pretty quick. The magic color fly was black. We watched 2 guys killing the Reds and he showed us the fly. We had some bigger black and purples and cut them down, but we sucked. My only hookup on the river jumped and spit it. Big spinners worked well, in the bay near any outfall, creek or rivermouth, 3/8- 1/2, even bigger ones around an ounce. Must be the vibration as they seemed to work really well. Pixies are a spoon that works well for the salmon. Snagging from shore is a retarded yet addictive way to get the salmon. This is done with a 12/0 treble that has an ounce of lead in the center, called the Alaskan fly. For halibut we were fishing 6/0s in 200 feet with wicked current. 4 pounds of lead and a herring cut in half. The halibut start with a nibble and you are using spectra and feel it. You wait until the nibble starts to tug and just wind them on with a big ol circle hook. We decided to drive to Ninilchik from Seward as the halibut are only a half hour boat ride. The 2 hours in the car were better than the 2 hour ride in the boat. Seward is a great spot to target the Silvers. Hope you have a great trip. We saw some black bears, one big one walking the edge of the trees, right near the hiway. Saw a few moose and one bald eagle. Beautiful country.

Andy

Here is a "Pixie"