View Single Post
Old 08-31-2010, 04:44 PM   #1
ReelNasty

Mako????? 08-24-10

i pulled up to lj at about 3pm coming from hb... got some tips from leo on the beach chillin in his speedos with a yellow in the yak (thank you by the way for the advise) ...i guess i gotta get a pair of those for some yellow luck.Obviously its working for him... haven't caught one this summer... made some bait...got a lively greenie with 3 spanish in the tank...hooked the greenie up as soon as i got him... trolled around for 20min.. came up on a bait ball and started to chuck a iron around...then zzzzzz...zz.. I'm starting to get use to hearing that noise with no result....but this time it sounded different. I look back and see something about 60ft back just sitting on the top of the water, ive heard of this kinda behavior from a thresher but didn't see a tail and really no movement on the surface. ive never caught a shark or seen one on the yak yet. i had no idea what it was. Anyways, give it a 10 count and zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.....yes after 4 trips to lj and being skunked on each one i was pumped...threw that bad boy in gear and off we go....he starts to pull me out to sea and all of a sudden my line goes slack... you've got to be kidding me. i start to reel as fast as i can cause you never know he might have turned around, i was right....the line starts to tighten up, and by then it seems like he's right under the yak....i start to see a 4-5 foot grey shadow.... im thinkin its a thresher...as i reel it in closer, it starts to turn on its side i start to see white and then i get a look at its face...i'm like wtf...a Mako. i had no idea that people even caught those in lj...how in the hell was i able to get him to the yak with out those sharp ass teeth cutting my line???? i was hoping that he would do it for me though, before he ended up jumping in my yak or something...i cut the line pretty much as soon as i saw its face... i'm not taking any chances of tring to bring that in on a yak especially since i was barefooted and in boardshorts and had nothing to kill it with but my gaf.and after seeing a video of my friend gaffing a thresher, defiantly not tring that on a Mako. the weird thing is that i was sitting there setting back up, i hear and feel thuds in the back of the yak..i look back and he's back there. that freaked me the f out...i think he was pissed. i paddled my ass out of there..unfortunately i didn't have a camera on me....pics would have been awesome.but would i don't think i would have taken one anyways... I'm not risking any limbs. I lost the top to my bait tank while i was out there.....does anyone know where to buy accessories?
ReelNasty is offline   Reply With Quote