Thread: Seal Bite
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2016, 04:45 PM   #13
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by dos ballenas View Post
I have eaten plenty of fish that sea lions have molested, and so far I'm fine. But there is always the potential for concern as sea lions are mammals and the possibility for disease transfer is real.

That said, and more importantly, returning "uneaten catch to the sea" is something that I hope doesn't happen very often! This is actually illegal, and should never happen. If you are tossing out fish that could have been eaten you need to start rethinking your harvesting practices. That old saying take only what you can use is something that many people forget. Not trying to call you out on this.... just wanted to point this out as I fear it happens far too often in our fishing community which is sad and a waste of resources.

Giving away fish to your neighbors is very similar to throwing out old frozen fish in my opinion. I used to justify killing by giving fish to a few of my neighbors. But I stopped doing this after I learned that most of my neighbors immediately toss the fish into their freezer and FORGET about it... then after a few months they throw it in the trash. I still give some fish away, but only to people that I KNOW will eat it fresh. Freezing fish always leads to waste.

True story here

My co-worker kept asking when I was going to give him some lobster so one day I hooped on a Thursday night and got was fortunate enough to get my limit, the following morning I stopped by the office and dropped off a cooler with 7 live bugs.

About 3 seasons later

co-worker: Hey, what's the best way to cook lobster?
me: why? did you buy some lobster?
co-worker: no, I found some lobster in my freezer
me: is that the same lobster that I gave you awhile ago?
co-worker: yeah, I forgot they were in the freezer

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote