View Single Post
Old 06-11-2013, 08:55 PM   #1
viti
Junior

Shelter Island, 10 June 2013

Visiting from Fresno for my nieces middle and high school graduations gave me the opportunity to squeeze in a trip to San Diego bay--the first time I've fished it on a yak, and probably 30 years since fishing that bay on a boat. I launched at Shelter Island at 5:30 AM to fish the incoming tide. saw the Islander returning from what sounds like an epic NCKA trip. Paddled to the bait barge and got a small scoop of bait; two big sardines and a bunch of small anchovies. Put the sardine on a trap rigged dropper loop then paddled back toward SI. Soon caught a nice sandbass on that sardine. Unfortunately I lost my second sardine trying to put it on the hook. The chovies were so small I didn't think they'd get noticed on a plain dropper loop presentation so I switched to a halibut bounce ball rig with big chrome flasher, purple haze hoochie and trap hooked anchovies. I caught a lot of fish on this rig including another nice sandy, three nice spotted bay bass, a short halibut and a bunch of huge lizard fish. I kept the two sandys and released everything else.

Matt
Attached Images

viti is offline   Reply With Quote