View Single Post
Old 05-21-2021, 08:18 AM   #14
SoCalEDC

Weather is my primary concern. wind flipping or intensifying and becoming a strong offshore breeze is always a concern when out a ways. I carry a PLB for that reason.

Fog/visibility is also something to consider. have a radio, a brightly colored pfd, and some kind of noise making device. If the fog rolls in its wise to have a magnetic compass on board. Last year me and a few other guys (a couple who post here) were out in very dense fog, we could hear boats and whales all around us but could only see them once they were within about 50 yards. We didn't anticipate the fog but it showed up anyways. there was a point where we broke off into two groups and group a had to text group b the coords to their location and it was probably only 1/4 mile away but we couldn't see or hear them at all. If one of us had gone into the drink and not been able to get back on the kayak there is no way the unlucky bastard would have been found.

Weekend warrior boaters are probably my second largest concern on the water behind shitty weather. Assholes don't pay any attention, cant see us, don't care, who knows, but they seem to be the most hazardous threat to kayakers on our area.

Not really concerned about jellies or rays, sharks are a bit troubling but I do my best to avoid hanging fish on a game clip or anything like that.

Whales do not concern me, I think they get curious and they can throw a wake if they breach, but for the most part I don't worry about them.

Not worried about pirates (should I be?)

Seals don't tend to bother me much, usually just curious as well. Did get spooked by one charging me from about 100' down, watched it on the sounder and didn't know what it was until it surfaced, Just saw the huge yellow blob screaming up from the depths right toward me (the trajectory looked like the opposite of what a jig looks like when it falls is that makes sense). he surfaced about 3 feet off my starboard side, not sure if he was being territorial or just curious as to what was going on, may have been looking for a fishy hand out too.
2020 Hobie Outback SOLD
2021 Stealth Fisha 500
#StealthTribe
SoCalEDC is offline   Reply With Quote