Thread: 5/28 LJ
View Single Post
Old 05-28-2006, 05:49 PM   #5
sterling

Yard Sales on the beach make for great comedy.

I don't think I made it since the first 6-8 times I went out I seemed to always be hitting big surf!! All the regulars would just say it no big deal you'll learn. One example was Jim H was yelling out to me something like hey it's no problem right before I did a bow stern indy in my 16' Wilderness!!! My only saving grace is right behind me another wave in that set took out. I mean wiped out Tom Booth, Johnny Ceviche, and Jim H as well. Now that's got to be some nasty stuff to wipe out those guys as well. One great yard sale I witnessed was a couple of guys trying to negotiate the surf in a Canoe!! The Fishn' Magician starts jumping up and down yelling watch those guys watch those guys. They got perfectly parallel to the beach then they got tubed, Litteraly. No leashes!! Best yard sale ever!!!

The best?worst wipe-out ever. One Spring morning the waves are washing up on the street and the wind was howling, but pride pushes me on since I watch Jimm H and several others launch without incident. After at least 40 minutes of trying to paddle past the first few waves and aborting since I couldn't keep straight I finally get past the first 5' wave. My kayak hits flat thunk on the back of the wave. I paddle like crazy up and over another 5+' thunk again. Did I catch air on that one? A third, fourth and fifth. YES!!! I made it I am out of the zone. I was probably 100-150 yards off the beach now. Then a wave poped up out of the abyys. Remember my kayak is 16' long. I was too close to let it break in front of me so I paddle with all I can. I climb up the face untill almost vertical when the force of the wave just takes my kayak right from over me. Yes over me and I had to swim and body surf back to shore to find it. My wife doesn't believe me to this day that the face of that wave had to be at least 10'. I find it on the beach with the rods attached and mashed into the sand. I recover the best I can, and went for it again!!! This time I had a surfer help hold me straight and I made it out. Out there I find Jim H yelling hell of Mr. Toad's wild ride lets go in it must be blowing over 20 mph. I roll the landing. Go home with no pride but the knowledge not to push it again. Repairs and replacement costs. About $250.
sterling is offline   Reply With Quote