View Single Post
Old 03-11-2011, 10:14 AM   #12
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

If you are getting any of the surges on the mainland that I witnessed here in Kauai, my recommendation is that you stay home until things calm down.

All the low lying areas throughout the state were evacuated at midnight last night. The Tsunami was supposed to hit about 3 AM. I spent the night in my car a couple miles from the coast along with several thousand new friends. We were allowed to return at 7:30 this morning.

I went down to the beach as soon as I could and witnessed something I have never seen before. Over a period of a couple minutes, the water receded from the cove in front of our place, exposing the reef where I had snorkeled in ten feet of water yesterday. A couple minutes later, the water returned filling the cove to a level a couple feet above the high tide line. 20 minutes later, the event was repeated. I have never seen anything like this.

The tidal flows were fairly gentle where I was, but there were a few places in the Islands that got hit hard. Most of the damage that I have heard about was to docks in the marinas. Many of the boat owners took their boats to sea last night to avoid getting knocked around. There were hundreds of lights bobbing off shore last night.

This is an experience that I will never forget. Mom nature is a very powerful lady.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote