View Single Post
Old 04-24-2016, 11:40 AM   #10
matanaska
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo fish View Post
regs you are quoting do not apply south of Point Conception

What regs are you talking about? Net is statewide as well as barbless hooks when a salmon is going to be kept. Heck salmon is regulated by the feds and the whole west coast except Alaska is barbless hooks when keeping a salmon.

As far as being angry, Lol I'm far from it and there isn't many customers up here to begin with so it doesn't pay the bills reguardless. I enjoy putting people on fish on occasions, but I would rather put a client on a pacific halibut or salmon than rockfish or lings which aren't even sport fish. Going for rockfish or lings is like going to the grocery store and telling the meat man what you want. It's just too easy to catch rockfish and lings up here.

I'm sure I'll be posting some reports here this year. I'm doing a 3.5 day mothership trip on the Islander the 1st week of June and I hope to do some yellowtail and wsb trips out of La Jolla. I did hire Kevin last year in February and he put my ex and I on some nice yellowtail.

If you lived up here you would have the same opinion and be frustrated that we have more regulated fishing as well as shorter seasons even though we have bigger and plenty of rockfish and lings. In Trinidad I can put you on 18"-20"+ blacks all day long. Lings over 30" are common and big cabezones over 20" too.

This year our salmon season got cut in half and pacific halibut is only the 1st 2 weeks each month through August or until the small quota is met. Fishing here is way different than SoCal. We have real waves on a regular basis. My cutoff is around 10 @ 10 seconds if there is no wind. Don't get me wrong, we do have flat days which is almost necessary to go 5-7 miles offshore to the deep water just to target them. I live in Humboldt so it's hard to be too angry with all the weed smoke in the air.
matanaska is offline   Reply With Quote