View Single Post
Old 12-23-2021, 07:02 AM   #10
JohnMckroidJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHELL View Post
It's a single blue fiber, off a cheap thin blue tarp.
I used to use them alot when I used to plaster.
OK, my bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoodGeekFish View Post
If you don't have one already, get or make yourself a descender!

https://oceaned.org/request-devices/
Good Stuff -- I donated to them a few years back, but most of the time I use my downrigger to send fish back down if necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysFishing View Post
That's a nice haul there John. I didn't realized the limit used to be 15. I can't tell what kind of RF those are. I got into this hobby a couple of years ago and see that the limit has changed once (Vermillion sub-bag) and now the Copper sub-bag.
I've caught a few 20"+ Coppers this year in Redondo with 18"-19" are pretty common. But never found any that are at 250ft though. I have to go way deeper, like 300ft-400ft+.
Those are some San Nicolis Island-sized Coppers. Nice Quang! The 300-400ft range was least fished back in the pre-braid days. With standard rental rod outfits, the Sportfishing fleet would hit 150-300ft for rockfish, and when shallow-water rockcodding got slow, the Redondo fleet would switch to 6/0 sized rental rods and hit Volcanic reef. Sometimes even the Pedro 3/4 day boats would come up there to fish 400-650ft. The standard rig was 80lb dacron, a 5 hook gangion and a 3lb weight. Hardcore anglers used 9/0 reels, 5-6lb sach weight, and 12 hooks. Circle hooks were new, and if one could get the Tankichi circle hooks from Japan, they were significantly better for retaining fish on the rigs. Those who caught over limits would cull through their fish, giving the smaller ones to less successful anglers. The limit was 15 and 90 percent of the catch was Salmon Groupers. Rockcodding was allowed year-round, and the banned times of today were considered Rockcodding season. The RF's in the photo are Boccacio and a few Chilipepper. If one wanted to catch Reds, and have a shot at a Cowcod, the best bet was the outer islands.
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote