View Single Post
Old 12-21-2007, 06:02 PM   #12
peguinpower
bing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hook 1 View Post
Nice report. Thanks After looking at Hurricanes web site the 160 is a touring kayak with a tankwell. This kayak is made for protected/calm water. Looks like a dry kayak. Alot of good spots to customize the kayak, That's What I'm Talking About. Saw that the cock pit and tankwell only have one scupper hole each. It will drain slow durring a surf launch but who cares as long as the hatch seals. I wonder how much it will flex in choppy water or from a wave.
As for speed, I think and this is how I test a fishing kayak 1) you need a GPS to check top end speed and glide and 2) weight (water bottles) to place around/on/in to simulate gear, bait tank, and battires.
http://www.hurricaneaquasports.com/phoenix160.html
Going to need to try this one. Just to know.
Actually, "touring" and "made for protected waters" do not got togther. The catalog says "The Phoenix 160 performs exceptionally well in unfavorable conditions, allowing you to confidently wander further offshore."

But I aint defending this particular kayak. I own it, but I aint married to it. I took a chance. It turns out, I dont need a fast kayak, I need fast paddling muscles Even then, I like quite a few things about it. Most especially, its a saweet paddler and tracks like an arrow. The scuppers are not regular scuppers. It has an onboard venturi drain. They drain pretty fast. And, being that its not a scupper, they dont make scupper sounds or create scupper drag. Yes, its sits high on the water. That makes it dry. Is it unstable, NO. Very predictable. Like I said, rocks like a canoe, but doesnt go over unless you want it to.

Will give a long term report after a few months.

/bing
peguinpower is offline   Reply With Quote