View Single Post
Old 12-20-2007, 10:26 AM   #4
peguinpower
bing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slay Rider View Post
Great review – I really, really enjoy reading first hand fishing kayak reviews who, lacking the aide of data collection equipment, are mostly observations and personal impressions. Anymore, to use the words fast and kayak in the same sentence are, to me, comical. This summer we were in the surf line south of La Jollalace, running and gunning from one reef to the next when I observed to my partner, who was fishing from a touring style kayak, that my kayak was soooo slow. After checking the trip log for average speed and noting we had been paddling together all morning without either paddler waiting on the other he observed that our speeds were the same. Because I had been fishing in a shorter, more stable hull that took more energy to paddle, I had assumed it was moving slower. My observation, supported by GPS is that most kayak fishermen paddle an average speed of 3-4 miles per hour no matter what they chose to fish from.

In the first part of your response, I sense you dont like kayak reviews due to the absense of data collection instruments. It must be said, data collection is only one part of scientific observation. Equally important is methodology. I would venture to say that your average speed observation is just as subjective. Given current and wind drift, stopping time, moving time differences between two kayaks, variability of physical strength, a solid conclusion cannot be had. Furthermore, your average speed range has a gap of 30%. A significant difference to say the least.

I own a GPS too. I am not interested in conducting a controlled experiment to reach any sort of scientific benchmark. Frankly, Ive never carried my GPS in testing kayaks because unless I test all of them the same day, in the same waters, in the same weather conditions, then the wont be "scientific". I posted an honest review of my experience. That is all.

/bing
peguinpower is offline   Reply With Quote