View Single Post
Old 07-21-2011, 08:29 PM   #8
bellcon

Quote:
With all the WSB slaughter postings lately I thought I would offer a bit a change of pace to help us focus on more summertime related issues like bbqs and warm ocean surface temperatures. For those of you that appreciate a nice warm bed at night and are not so proud of your hunter gatherer heritage that you will drive through three counties with your kayak and three WSB hanging out the back of your truck for all the Laguna Beach and Santa Monica environmentalists to see I suggest an afternoon troll of the waters a bit south of the squid grounds local zoo. Although, Wades video did suck the audio was interesting and the releases are much to be commended. Next time bring some tags for those ghosts. I have only released one WSB under peer pressure form the Darkhoarse so my comments are not a passage of any sick judgment just an observation of recent posts and images of Bellcon's Triplets and his incredible "I want to go kayak fishing" video still dancing in my head.
Wow Kurt,????
First, awesome Yellow!

Truth is, some nights I do prefer a 15' long piece of wet plastic to a nice warm bed and yes I do travel through 3 counties to fish La Jolla and it is almost always a good time whether I catch fish or not.
I will say this; I have never had 3 WSB hanging out the back of my truck for anyone to see.
All the fish I catch are put in an ice bath ASAP, in fact that trip I went home with 2 fish having given another kayaker a WSB at the launch. (He is a much more experienced fisherman than I, it just wasn’t his night)

As far as my "Zombie Triplets", I get it; it upsets some people that I caught limits, but as my daughter used to say…”Whatever”

After I did it for the first time last year, I thought I would never do it again, even if I had the chance. I won't make excuses for my take, or get into the details of why or how it happened. It happened.
And although I don't plan on doing it again, I don't make promises I can't guarantee keeping. Maybe I can promise if it happens again I just won't post it... OK that I can guarantee.

I don't know the mortality rate of WSB when caught and released, I have heard that it is very good in most cases, others say not so good. But it is obviously not 100%. (Hubbs has stated their opinion on the matter)

I will say this, I paid my dues fighting the MLPA both with my time and money and whether I continue to drive a 100 miles to fish La Jolla or eventually move there and become a “local”, the privileges of fishing those waters or any California waters are as much mine as anyone’s.

I respect all of our resources, I follow the laws when fishing and no one should worry about what I choose to kill. Believe me with 4 kids who love the taste of fish and many other family members and friends in line, NO fish go wasted from my “Slaughters”

I guess you could say I am guilty of a little “hunter gatherer” pride when I see the look on my 7 and 8 year old, they love watching a fish dad caught go under the knife and on the grill.

Thanks for the fish dope, and congrats again on a beautiful Yellowtail!

Making the Bill Poole Tournament doesn’t look good for my schedule as of now, that may change. I hope you do well again representing kayak anglers, and thanks for all your work helping our fisheries.

Don