View Single Post
Old 10-24-2020, 11:11 AM   #9
Salty

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMckroidJr View Post
Cool whale pic, I am accustomed to seeing Grey's off CA, Are Humpbacks now common?
Humpbacks are not super common near shore, but they're around. They've been seeing LOTS offshore from Dana Point on the whale-watching boats this year. Funny, the day before this I went on one of those boats for a friend's daughter's 6th birthday and we saw humpbacks just cruising by. Then the next day I take my kayak out and there are humpbacks LAUNCHING next to me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISH11 View Post
They are so awesome to see up closer than 60 yards, but to see them do their repeated breaching is incredible. I was lucky to see it from a similar area and got video after having problems trying to time the next jump and when to shoot the picture to be at time of breach. Unfortunately this was before sunrise so the video is a bit dark and not super detailed, like my memory of the whale bigger than most SUV's playing around repeatedly getting airborne. Amazing!
yeah, it's really hard to time! I did get this one on video too, but the video starts with the whale already halfway out of the water. But it's the slow turn and intense landing that's the best!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalEDC View Post
That whale picture is bitchin
...I think this kayak just brings good luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunaseeker View Post
cool pics! A ling is one of my goals this year. Any suggestions??
Well I didn't start out targeting them intentionally, but the second one I did! 100' depth, 8oz dropper loop (I was using a 3-way swivel) with a live Spanish mac. Cruise until you find structure and send it down. Bounce the weight off the bottom and left the drift push you over the structure. I never really target these on purpose, so I'm sure there are people that have WAY more experience with them that could give you better advice!
It was funny though, the exact same thing happened with both lings for me. I felt something tugging the line, but the Seaforth was circling me like crazy and all the dogs were literally waiting under my kayak. I waited a good 5 minutes for the cattle boat to move away and waited for the sea lions follow it before I started reeling it in! And the second one I hooked about an hour later was the EXACT same thing!! I don't like keeping fish on a line too long like that, but when the options are to either take the chance and wait or risk loosing it to a dog, it seemed to be the right choice. Seemed to work out for me both times lol.
Salty is offline   Reply With Quote