Thread: One more reason
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2020, 06:22 AM   #15
summers in kuwait

PFD is a must. I wear mine from the time of launch to the time of landing. 20 years ago, when I first started kayak fishing, I wouldn't usually wear my vest and would just keep it on the deck or inside the kayak. Young, stupid and fearless.

I have had many close calls over the years. From boats, surf, sharks, swell, fish, etc. Things can happen very quickly and a PFD can be a crucial factor to the safety and final outcome. On that note, having your radio/phone, etc. mounted to your vest with a rescue knife is best practice. Also, practice rescues on your kayak!

Some good advice that I share with others: Wear a seatbelt, wear a helmet, wear a PFD, wear a condom and now... wear a mask!

With regards to the waders, I think there is a personal preference. I get cold and need waders and prefer them over pants or bib. When I used to live up north in Humboldt, I would wear waders, but others would prefer a farmer john and dry suit, depending on time of year, conditions, launch site, etc.

The biggest thing I have personally seen with waders, is fast moving water. IE rivers. It was too common to hear about a guy that drowned from wading in a river with waders. But usually no PFD and often alcohol or other factors played a role.

Be prepared, know your gear and your limits and be safe, so you can keep fishing for years to come.
summers in kuwait is offline   Reply With Quote