View Single Post
Old 07-17-2012, 11:16 PM   #5
Redeyejedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman4454 View Post
Hey guys, I've been biting off your guys' tips for about a month so I figured it was time to contribute as best I could..

To start off, a little about my self- recently re-caught the fishing bug, and even more recently bought my first kayak, so my learning curve has been a bit steep but I'm slowly figuring things out.

Anyways I launched about 7am at the stairs. Swell was really minor so launching was a breeze. My plan was to make bait so I could test out my brand new bilge pump powered bucket (thanks to everyone who posted their bait tanks), and head to deep hole. Usually I have no problem catchings macks and smelt, but the only thing the sabiki caught was a legal calico.. Amd he wasn't snagged, he was hooked nicely in his upper lip. Guess I can't complain about that right? I was about to abandon my plan and go for bass, but I ran into a jet skier who said squid were everywhere at deep hole, so I thought I'd see if I could snag a few w the sabiki

When I got out there, dolphins sea lions, an birds were having an all u can eat calamari brunch. I was only able to snag 1, dropped it down and within 30 seconds it gets taken by a nice sand bass. No more squid for me though so I called it a day. Caught one more nice calico on the way back on a brown 5" big hammer, but still nothing on the sabiki besides the big (jack?) smelt.

So the moral of the story is bring your squid jigs to LC.. Oh well, now that I know the paddle to deep hole is doable, I'll get em next time..
Conditions were okay.. 15kts wind from the south; ~2 ft swell; Part cloudy; water was suuuper clear, at least 20 feet vis.. Sorry about no pics
Toby

nice!
i was out sunday, 1/4 mile north, launched at heavens. but quite similar experience.... got the itch to fish again and also got a yak.
Redeyejedi is offline   Reply With Quote