View Single Post
Old 07-08-2020, 10:23 PM   #149
FISH11

Thumbs up

Took my Solo Skiff out to Mission Bay to put a few hours of break in time on the outboard motor. Launched at Dana Landing around 3:50 pm and headed out to the Jetty cause I wanted to see how it would handle with the swell going out and coming in. Going out was a piece of cake, coming back was fun learning the behavior of the Solo with a following sea and large boat wakes. It took a few minuted to get used to sitting so high. Kayak fishing the last 7 years, I never had a kayak were you are so far above the water. After getting used to the sway on the swell and large boat wakes. Coming back in was fun when I could match the swells coming in . It was almost like surfing. Tried slowing down to see the reaction to the swells passing and how that changed things. Took a couple bass rods to troll while motoring, but the speed was faster then was good for trolling, because the break in process was what the main point was. There were a lot of tourist on rental boat, pontoon boats and sit on Jet Skis. Bottom line I had to holler at several that didn't think the 5 mph buoys were for the entire channel areas. They are oblivious to the fact that all other boats are going slow (what should I have expected, it's Summer time). Anyway it was fun to take it out on it's maiden voyage and escape the 90+ degree weather up at my house for this last week. As I expected trying to load it back on to the truck bed and extender was not as easy as the unloading it by myself. Had to remove the motor first because my truck is high enough that the bed extender was still 18"-20"above the water with my rear tire in the water up to the rims. Once the motor was off lifting the Solo onto the bed extender was easy. The seat is awesome, great support and I could brace my feet on the front part on the deck and I used the bow attached rope to hold on with my right hand when bracing for going through the choppy parts and large swells. All in all the Solo is SWEET.. Have to make a couple more trips to finish the break in, then I'll concentrate on the fishing. Did not have any problem with any water getting inside. The live well worked good, but I might use a 12v battery, because the flow in a little slower than I would like. I think the length from pump to aerator has a lot to do with it. Still have to cut out and install the deck mat material I bought.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF7559 (2).jpg (52.2 KB, 211 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF7565 (2).jpg (61.5 KB, 210 views)