View Single Post
Old 07-07-2020, 09:40 PM   #147
FISH11

[QUOTE=NICKWORN;308893]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FISH11 View Post
The rear 3 rod holders on each side are for carrying the rods and keeping them out of the way and still allows good motor turning for harder right turns with the tiller.

Yep, totally stealing that idea!
Just need to see if they would interfere with my H-Rail Hobie rod holders, i don't think so depending on placement. I may just attach a 3-pack to the outside of my milk-crate, the tiller never reaches that far as making too sharp of turns is going to end with you in the drink. I really kept an eye on my turning angles Sunday with my two rod holders inside the crate, one was for the gaf and the other for an extra rod, never came close to hitting them.
No problem, that's why I shared my Idea. Got the stainless bolts, washers and nylock nuts and aluminum piece for top bracket, at Lowes. Long Mighty Mount XLs on the bottom attached to the inside of the gunnel and short Mighty Mount XLson the top. I used the aluminum pop rivets that are used for eyelets and other deck attachments. They are made to split is three sections and they are compressed by the rivet hand tool. When making the short top brace to the top of the gunnel, heat up the aluminum first before trying to make the sharp bend. The first one I bent slowly and was ok, the second I was a little impatient and it broke at the bend. If you heat that area first then the aluminum can stretch without cracking. Because of the angle of the hull, they have a slight outward tilt and give a little extra clearance for the tiller arm. They are removable and are really solid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NICKWORN View Post
That's why i love these platforms, comes naked, allows for each individuals unique take on what they want.

#personalizedskiffs

Motor finally completed its 10hr break-in, gonna change oil and lower gear oil and smashed out to LJ this weekend! TIME!!
Congrats on the 10 hrs break in. I'm taking mine out to Mission Bay to do some of my break in time, so it can be ready for the deeper water. I agree on the blank canvas, it makes it so much easier to add what you use and not have items that are not important to every owner. Thanks for the link for the seat and the heads up on the on deck rod tube leaking. I will pull one out to check if they might just need a little marine goop at seams or deck surface. When I installed the 8" Hobie hatch for the aerator install access on the bow I noticed the tube are just laying against the inside of the hull. I though that they might slap against the hull, so I put a piece of pool noodle under and made like a U under then and applied a small amount of marine goop to the noddle just a few drops so the noodle can't move.