View Single Post
Old 01-07-2012, 07:20 PM   #5
FlyFishinYakr

Location: Nor Cal...30 min from Bodega/Tomales Bay, 1hr from Clear Lake, 2+ hr to Berryessa & the Delta
When I'm not using my Fly Rods, the one thing I learned from deckhands and rod builders when i was young, cork is fine if you don't do alot of fishing. Cork (as mentioned earlier in this post) will dry out and crack and peel after some time in the sun. I have two sets of rods I use, (yes I am fortunate) one for my long range fishing which all rods have seats and then my "day use" set of rods for half-day to overnight trips and my Kayak fishing. On my "day use" rods I use 60# tarred marine cord. To say durable would be an understatement, I have a Clastar 196-8, 270-8, Seeker SJ-90, Calstar 530-9' & a Truline D8 all wrapped in the mid-late '80's and the cord is still just fine not frayed maybe just al little faded from where I mount my reels. It's also a (IMO) more non-slip surface even after releasing fish. On my D8 I did mount an 8" contoured foregrip (because it's my basic Y/T, 40# tuna Jig stick) and after about 30 min. on multiple 50# + class YFT a cord grip can get a little coarse on the hands.
Basicly I use cord on any of my rods that are in the 40# class test or less and reel seats on everything over 40#.
That's just my preference.
FFY.
(DISCLAIMER) btw: seel seat exceptions now include the 3 Shimano W/C Teramamar inshore rods & my 2 Waxwing rods, so that I can use smaller baitcaster reels like my Diawa Lunas' & shimano curado 200's and 300EJ's with Power Pro. I haven"t figured out what I'm going to do with my Talica's yet cause their reel seats are smaller in Diameter than most rods for the particular class line for the particular reel.
FlyFishinYakr is offline   Reply With Quote