View Single Post
Old 12-11-2017, 08:43 PM   #10
Buddhaa64

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenglory18 View Post
Anyone out there have any more recent updates on the Hobie Compass?

The boss finally gave the thumbs-up on a new boat for next year and I desperately want to get my hands free. The Hobies have always intrigued me and the Compass is an interesting concept for sure. Large enough for off-shore, small enough to car-top. I'm tickled at the idea of this boat.

So, anyone put a bunch of miles on their new boats yet? Anyone able to adequately compare the Compass and the Outback? PA is a deal/back breaker for me so its down to those two boats. If you have hands on experience with these, I'm super curious on what you think....

- Kenny

Not a Compass owner, but was very-very close to buying one in October. I was dead set on the Compass as my first Hobie. I was coming from an X-Factor. The Compass seemed like the best option - wide platform, decent payload capacity, efficient hull design, and easily car topped. I spent a few hours testing out the Compass, Revo 13, and Outback during three different demos. What it really came down to for me was quality. Switching back and forth from the Outback/Revo and the Compass, the cost savings of the Compass are really exploited.

I chose the Outback over the Compass for two main reasons: rudder control and vantage seat. The rudder control on the Compass felt cheap compared to the Outback/Revo. It also requires constant adjustment, but tightening the rudder lines could fix that. The seats are not even comparable - the vantage seat blows the Compass seat out of the water. The vantage seat is easily adjustable and removable, but it also feels more substantial. By substantial I mean that in the seat of the Compass you can feel a tad flex when peddling at a higher tempo compared to no flex in the vantage seat. Also, the location of the straps securing the Compass seat were not the easiest to get to, at least for me. So if car topping, clipping in and removing the seat would take a little more time.

A few more things to add:
Hull slap - yes the Outback has hull slap, but it is really not that big of a deal.
The extras you get with the Outback (storage trays and map pockets) are a huge plus. You may not need them, but having them is awesome. If car topping the Compass, you will have to add handles unless you have the finger strength of a rock climber because gripping the molded in handles and lifting over head seems like a pain. Once you get to modifying the Compass, it adds up quickly. Adding the square hatch, handles, turbo fins, and 180 drive (highly recommend) you are in Outback territory. At that point, the reason I would justify getting the Compass (cost savings) is no longer a factor. Honestly though, it is still a great kayak, but I do feel the Outback is the better overall kayak for the money.

Good luck on the research!

Anthony
Buddhaa64 is offline   Reply With Quote