View Single Post
Old 11-19-2014, 03:34 PM   #8
walrus

Whaaat?! No spare parts!!! Didn't we go thru this already!!!

Tony, this was my spare drive. next time I'll take three!

Unless you want to discuss what a cabrilla and what a leopard grouper is. Heh.

Zeb, I'd be glad to: That picture is a leopard Grouper but I call them by the family name Cabrilla, as do most of the locals.

The Leopard Grouper, Mycteroperca rosacea, is a member of the Grouper or Epinephelidae Family, known collectively as “Cabrillas” and “Garropas” in Mexico. Approximately 1% of the Leopard Groupers are Golden Phase and called Golden Groupers, Queenies, or occasionally Golden Cabrillas; these are easy to identify due to their spectacular, overall orange color.

The Leopard Groupers are found in sea mouths and within reefs and rocky areas at depths up to 150 feet. They reach a maximum length of 100 cm (40 inches) and weigh up to 12 kg (27 pounds). They have a lifespan of at least 17 years. In Mexican waters they are found from Magdalena Bay south along the west coast of Baja and throughout the Sea of Cortez being more abundant in the central part of the Gulf.The Leopard Groupers are one of the most important fish in the Sea of Cortez. They are considered an excellent food fish and are sold commercially. In late spring, they are a prime target of the sports fishing industry of the central Sea of Cortez.

Last edited by walrus; 11-19-2014 at 03:43 PM.
walrus is offline   Reply With Quote