View Single Post
Old 10-27-2008, 03:16 PM   #16
THE DARKHORSE

Geez Owyn.....

Again..."I think the 60 lb--80 lb Black Seabass are perfect for quick photo opportunities, if handled properly. Just like a 10' Python, support their wait when handling them. The key is to be quick about it when handling them, and be real careful with their caudal fins, as they need them".

I'm condoning quick photo opportunities conducted by professional licensed fishing guides, with smaller models. These fish are not Sharks that lack the bone structure (mostly all cartilage), or Marlin, that are easily harmed by any handling out of the water. I see way more harm in anglers letting fish run for ten seconds with their Mackerel in it's mouth, and allowing the fish time to swallow the hook. I also feel, way more harm is caused by fishing with "baby drag" and playing any fish for extended periods of time, if interested in a healthy release. As soon as I was confident this wasn't a Yellowtail (30 seconds), I buttoned down the drag and brought this fish to the surface in a couple of minutes, healthy and strong.

Perhaps your one of those people that thinks the MLPA closure decisions are based on kayak fishing board photos, I feel for you. I've done my part, donated money, registered, got others involved, voted on a stakeholder to help represent the kayak community (Thanks Paul), drew maps of precious zones, daily prayers to my Lord and Savior, no regrets. More importantly, "I've pushed for awareness and conservation through leading by example for many years". I'm certainly not confused who really cares about this fishery, it's obviously the fisherman, not some highly funded business/government agency, disguised with intentions of conservation.