View Single Post
Old 10-26-2008, 11:59 PM   #10
THE DARKHORSE

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmbrinkman View Post
Yeah... I don't thinks it's recommended but I think that's more of an issue when they're really big. The bigger they are, the more weight their body has to support out of water.
Exactly......I've seen many captains and deckies lift larger models into the boat for a quick photo opportunity, including sportboats such as the New Seaforth and the long lost Dolphin (gaff through the bottom jaw ). Usually in La Jolla we only catch the larger models from 100 lbs--300 lbs, but this spot has tons of Black Seabass this size, and Halibut . I think the 60 lb--80 lb Black Seabass are perfect for quick photo opportunities, if handled properly. Just like a 10' Python, support their wait when handling them. The key is to be quick about it when handling them, and be real careful with their caudal fins, as they need them. As you can see, I didn't get a chance to do the famous Bill Dance stiff arm photo, that would make her look like a 150 lb'er. In this case I chose the full support quick hug, and I can guarantee this tank is very happy right where I left her. As always, I engaged the hook almost instantly after being bit, and popped the hook right out of the corner of her mouth.

Last edited by THE DARKHORSE; 10-27-2008 at 11:56 AM.
THE DARKHORSE is offline   Reply With Quote