View Single Post
Old 07-15-2010, 06:38 PM   #38
h2ofishfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsafety View Post
When Hobie introduced the peddle drive to kayaks, they released the genie in the bottle. Several other manufacturers either have peddle products currently available or about to be released.

This month's Popular Science has a page devoted to kayak fishing which features something called the Mariner 12.5 from Propel. It is a peddle kayak with a propeller. Unlike previous models from this manufacturer, this is not a glorified canoe with a peddle drive. It is a sit-on-top kayak that they claim is designed for fishing, although probably for lakes and rivers, not what we do.

The propeller drive has some advantages such as being able to go in reverse. It would probably be a real pain in the kelp, however. Having never had the chance to try this technology, I can only guess.

I have a Revo and am very happy with it. That said, Hobies are not without a few warts. I look forward to other manufacturers pushing the envelope a bit which will lead to improvements in technology that everyone can enjoy.

Bob
saw somebody in the mariner last month peddaling around seemed to be peddaling around just fine why u would buy one when hobie parts are local is beyond me different strokes for different folks seems like the guys that are paddling are doing it cause they cant afford a hobie,sponsored by someone else or take pride in saying they paddle like it makes there arms look like 22'' either way im koo just as long as your fishing !!
h2ofishfo is offline   Reply With Quote