View Single Post
Old 10-17-2016, 09:39 AM   #13
Rocketfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by jruiz View Post
...So we tried towing while I held the rope by hand. My conclusion was that the kayak tended to wander off center and eventually ended up sideways if pulled from anywhere behind the bow handle. This was a hobie adventure.
We also ended up doing the same thing. I held the rope by hand and had to steer to stay within the wake. One time i almost flipped sideways and had to let go. Our top speed was 5.3 knots, but man, it was tough to hold on more than a couple of minutes.

I discovered another problem AFTER our trip back. My yak was filled with about 3 or 4 gallons of water! Looking back, I noticed that the entire back hatch of my outback was underwater whenever we went fast. Also, depending on where I was in the Seadoo's wake, water would flow OVER the front hatch. I suspect this is where most of the water entered because isn't the Outback notorious for having a sh*tty seal in the front hatch? It's funny because during the outing i checked my center hatch for water filling up and only noticed a tiny bit of water. maybe it happened on the way back in?

Thanks for the advice guys. I may try this one more time by making a loop through the mirage drive opening, and then HOLDING a rope through the front that i can let go of per some of the advice here. I suspect once the rudder is up, and we pull from the front as much as possible, AND my 225 fat a** isn't bogging the outback down, we should be ok for longer durations.
Rocketfish is offline   Reply With Quote