View Single Post
Old 11-07-2020, 07:46 AM   #14
Flounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillbillymad View Post
IÂ’m about to buy my first kayak and I tried another guys top water pdl while I was trying it I stoped using the pedals and only used the paddle. I was going so slow I feel like I would need pedal just to manage out in lajolla
Lets drop some lj real experience from a paddler turned peddler.
Reasons I switched to Peddle.
1. Size of boat and thrust required.
I am a bigger guy reasonable shape 220-240 over the last few years and with that to get a good comfortable seat and fit all the gear, bait tank, extra rods etc I was looking at a large yak. Large yaks do not traditionally paddle well and at testing in waves and wind "Floundering" was the best way to put how I felt against elements in a paddle yak, paddling in weather took 90% of my energy and effort. Left nothing for fishing and left me wore out and limited my range.
Bottom line Legs are huge efficient muscles compared to arms and you will get 2-3x the range.

2. LJ Currents.
In my old paddle yak I found myself being pushed off spots. I would mark good fish that I would want to drop to but proper presentation was very difficult fighting just a 1mph current and a little wind was enough to make you move on frustrated.
I also found myself pinned against the south preserve on several occasions and had to end the day with a miserable 3mile paddle against heavy current and NW winds, watched peddlers fly by no issues....ugh.

3. Bay currents.
See above multiply x3.

4. Boat positioning.
Critical factor in fishing structure. I can stay on the structure 100% peddle,
Paddle im drifting off or my paddles in my hands not my rod.
To hit my zones and tend poles in bays and LJ I would have to anchor with the paddle yak, peddles allow me to be in control of rods in the zone and control the craft for big bay wakes.

5. BAD Weather Fishing
IT SUCKS DONT DO IT.
If you do keeping the bow into the waves or on your desired course is key and in big white caps for safety and stability. This is the only area that paddle and peddle are even in my book I like paddling super rough weather because I can use the paddle to help stay upright, but with the peddle I end up in less of those situations that I feel uneasy in. After fishing Michigan and Texas, our weather here is truly blessed.

6. My back and shoulders.
Peddle

Paddle
Barely move after a 6 hour trip.
Flounder is offline   Reply With Quote