Thread: lobster season
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2010, 03:49 AM   #14
jorluivil

Since I went from boater to boater & kayaker to kayaker(sold my boat) it will be my first year hooping from a yak. I had an awesome time hooping from my boat: Catalina & all around Long Beach.

For you newbies, don't take hooping from a yak lightly. It was dangerous hooping from a boat and I can guarantee you it's going to be just as or mroe dangerous hooping from a yak. You tend to look down a lot and this causes you to put your guard down.

I recall hooping in Catalina one night, we had a few nets set just outside some kelp in about 15-20 feet of water. When we brought one of the nets up we had two legals and began the measuring process, little did we know that the current was pushing us into the kelp/rocks.....I managed to back away before we hit but boy was it close.

My partner and I have already discussed some of the details for the upcoming season. First and foremost we covered safety: kayak lighting, reflecting tape & multiple headlamps. We're also looking into building some sort of floating mini barge to transport the nets, something that can be easily towed and easily accessed.

As far as bait goes we've tried it all. Rockfish, mackerel, catfood, rancid chicken, salmon heads, fish guts & squid.......won't give away any secrets away but 2 of the 7 are the ticket. Don't forget to dress warm and by all means be prepared to deal with fog.
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote