View Single Post
Old 07-05-2019, 02:27 PM   #18
Uncle_Tomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevbeer View Post
Pirating my own thread here. I picked up an avet SX 5.3 and a graftech in shore 8 foot 20-30 lb rod. I was also considering a Californian 8 foot 12-30 try helix rod. After getting it home I think the graftech rod maybe stiffer then I actually want for this combo. I plan for this set up to be my main set up while kayak fishing la Jolla for calico and up with the occasional larger things you can catch there. But I also have and larger set up I will be taking with a 15-40 lb rod and I think I would have been better off with the softer faster action Californian. Any opinions here? I am thinking to go back to Turner's and swap for the Californian.
Sometimes line rating does not tell you much. I have about several rods in 15-30lbs category but they could not be more different from each other. I usually go by feel of an action. I typically have and idea of what I am going to be using the rod for. Is it going to be flylining or casting smaller plastics or heavy jigging?

For 5-7 inch plastics I use Californian CBC 12-25lb 1 1/2 - 2 oz weigh rates. (I like stiffer rod for fishing plastics)
I recently also picked up Californian Calico Special CS76XHE rated 25-40lbs. Now this is a broomstick. Works fine for jigging 80+g flat falls and butterfly jigs at the bottom. It’s also pretty good for your 9inch plastics with heavy jig heads. It’s paired with Lexa HD 300 spooked with 40 lb braid.
I also have Daiwa Proteus MH 8’ rated 15-30. Like to use this for 100g jigs or flylining sardines etc. Will be also using it for poppers and larger swimbaits for schoolie YT and YFT tho year.

Hope this helps
Uncle_Tomas is offline   Reply With Quote