View Single Post
Old 10-14-2018, 05:14 PM   #1
hiramehunter

First hooping of 2018

Been busy so this Saturday night was the first opportunity to go hooping. Spent most of the day prepping and making sure I had everything including my lobster License.
Got to Redondo around 9:30pm. I wanted to get our earlier but between Saturday night church, dinner with friends, and a quick stop at CVS to get some Bonine (since I forgot them at home), this was the best I could do. But sometimes you just go when you can!!

Since this was my session this year, I just wanted to make sure all of my gear worked. So my first set was near the entrance to the marina. Outside wall near where the wall height changes. Maybe 30’ off the wall. Used salmon heads and mackerel.
Winds were about 5 knots and minimal swell. It was also cool to see the moon set.
Soaked each set (2 nets) about 15-20 minutes and yielded a bunch of shorts. By 11pm, they were coming up empty and I was starting to get seasick so i called it a night.

Some improvements for next session:
1. Get a headlamp (ordered) - I couldn’t find mine so it was a bit tough using a flashlight. The flashlight also started blinking red whenever it got wet!
2. Need to add some lights to the kayak. I couldn’t find my light stick from last year.
3. Add a third hoop net.
4. Figure out how to store my paddle quickly without getting in the way of the hoop nets, rope, etc...
5. Take Bonine hours before
6. Get out a little earlier
7. Find a friend with a boat!

Things that went right:
1. Hoop net setup worked great!
2. The new promar baitjar seemed to work well.
3. I got to get out and hoop net!!

No pics since it was dark and I didn’t get any keepers
hiramehunter is offline   Reply With Quote