View Single Post
Old 12-11-2017, 01:20 PM   #8
goldenglory18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddwineguy View Post
I bought a Compass. Turns sharper than any other Hobie. I have owned an outback, Revo and pa. The rudder control is a finger tip dial. It is a little less intuitive than what is on the other Hobies.
That's what I've read. Glad to hear the same from an owner (too much internet expert feedback and not enough from actual owners!)

Quote:
Haven’t surf launched yet. But is a very stable boat and really quick, if you add turbo fins. Very little chop over the bow, much like a Revo. I did add the rectangular hatch and some map pockets, due to its lack of storage.

It is lowrance transducer ready, but you have to drill all your own holes to run the wiring.
Awesome. I'd definitely opt for adding the turbo fins, and I don't mind at all about having to mod the boat for wiring. I actually prefer to do it myself out of love for the process.

Quote:
The seat is comfortable. A bit wider than a Vantage seat and you really have to crank on the straps to adjust the lumbar, but once you do it is nice.
2" wider I heard. That's gotta feel like a lay-z-boy to some people!

Quote:
The reduced weight is great for me as I have a bad knee and 68 pounds (hull weight without seat and drive) is a lot easier for me to throw around.
Great to hear, I have the same issues (young man with old knees/ankles.) If I can't comfortably car top it, its not the right boat for me.

Quote:
Definitely worth a look for those interested in a new addition. To outfit it right it is only a couple of hundred dollars less than a stock outback, so it is not really a much cheaper option.
True, but I LOVE the idea of an open cockpit that is ready for customizing. To me, that's the most appealing part of this boat (that and the Mirage drive, of course)

Quote:
What I like about the Compass is it’s weight, it’s lack of Hull chop, it’s mobility, and it’s openness in the cockpit. Super roomy.

What I don’t like is it’s lack of storage.
Hmmm, what can we do about the storage issues? It's a 400lbs capacity boat, so there has to be options.

Quote:
Here are two photos of the upgrades. Rectangular hatch, map pockets and moved the stock hatch upfront for FF battery.
Great choices. I'd do something similar, and add extra foam in the hull to better support standing. A few rails, 8" FWD hatch, and a FF and were in business!
goldenglory18 is offline   Reply With Quote