View Single Post
Old 08-31-2010, 07:45 PM   #88
tagyak

magnets inside yak

i found a rack mount for tools in sears. they use earth magnets so that you can attach yard tools or what not to the wall mounted rack. i instead found a better use for these puppies.
took the wall rack and cut it in half, used a hack saw. then mounted each half inside the center hatch of my hobie outback. i used goop for this.
there are these attachments that came with the wall rack that you would use for the handles of the yard tools. i instead mounted these into the bottom of my yak to keep my trays from moving around inside. they also have a magnet so i attached piece of metal to the tray using a rivet gun and that in turn is held by the magnet from moving around.
i got some tackle boxes from big 5 or bass pro shop, big enough to hold most of my gear, but not too big that it won't fit into the 8" round hatch. got some metal strips from a hardware store and just tape these onto the bottom of the boxes using duct tape.
they slide into the hatch and sits on top of the earth magnets. they don't move around, but they are still easy enough to get out of the hatch without too much effort.
i added some trays from target. using one to hold my hooks. i added a piece of rubber foam from mouse pad to the lid of my hook container. the hooks were moving into other compartments and also getting wet.
i also took the plastic from the mouse pad and cut it into the shape of the hatch. i mounted this using contact cement the type that you spray on (a 3m product). i did this so that i can use it for a cutting board for bait.
here are some pictures.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 008.jpg (46.2 KB, 3147 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 011.jpg (92.7 KB, 3136 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 013.jpg (153.5 KB, 3127 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 012.jpg (153.6 KB, 3129 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 015.jpg (186.1 KB, 3128 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 014.jpg (161.8 KB, 3128 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 016.jpg (196.1 KB, 3119 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 021.jpg (149.8 KB, 3110 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 017.jpg (182.8 KB, 3100 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 018.jpg (124.7 KB, 3103 views)
tagyak is offline   Reply With Quote