Thread: rods and reels
View Single Post
Old 09-24-2010, 10:02 AM   #28
fishaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by abovi001 View Post
OK I have a problem being indecisive on anything because I read to much and one bad review throws me the heck away...

I have narrowed it down to two reels for nearshore (calico, halibut, yellowtail, etc and rock fish) and maybe one or two offshore trips a year.

1. Avet Sx (right hand reel) with 35-50 spectra and 20 topshot.
2. Similar shimano not quite sure what one (reason: shimano lifetime warranty)

any recommendations ? possibly looking at the Avet MxJ too i dunno im so indecisive with all this... How is the turner model californian paired with these reels?

thnks

Andrew
Wow Andrew you know how to open a can of worms! As you can see from this partial list of gear I am selling that I have what some might call a "problem". And the funny thing is it all started with the same questions you are asking. So my advise:

1. Be careful! Buying fishing gear is as addicting as fishing.

2. If I was to do it all again I would start off buying used well taken care of gear. If not from me then from someone else that takes good care of their stuff. This way you can get nicer gear for the same cost as new lesser quality stuff. Buying this way also gives you a chance to try different rods and reels without taking a huge hit. If you don't like what you buy, you can always sell it for what you bought it for.

3. As far as what to buy...That all comes down to what you like to use. I have my own preferences, because I have spent quite a bit of time trying different things. I like star drag reels for most inshore applications, but there are times I prefer a lever drag reel(slow trolling live bait for example). You can't go wrong with a daiwa sealine reel and a seeker or calstar rod, but I love Pro Gear and graphite usa. Avets and Shimanos are great too.

4. Figure out what YOU like and feel CONFIDENT with. You will catch more fish with what you feel the best using.

Feel free to give me a call any time.
Thanks,
John 760-672-7080
fishaholic is offline   Reply With Quote