View Single Post
Old 12-25-2015, 07:49 AM   #3
Saba Slayer

WSB

The WSB project has about 12 growout facilities along the So. Cal. coast. Each facility is run by a group of volunteers. Most growouts have a manager that schedules the cleaning and feeding. In Redondo we have a guy named Rich Ford that runs the program and he has day managers that schedule their volunteers for each day of the week. In Redondo you end up working usually only one day a month to clean and feed the fish since we have at least 4 volunteers for each day of the week. We also need extra help when we receive or release fish. The public is usually invited to the releases...it is so rewarding to see those little fellas swim away after caring for them for months! Our Redondo facility is the only one other than Hubbs at Carlsbad that has above ground tanks for raising our fish. All the other facilities are in-the-water nets and pens.

Ship 4 Brains...please let me know where you live and I'll pass the nearest Program Director's contact info off to you.

The CCA CAL is teaming up with the WSB project and along with Hubbs are looking at additional species to add to the replenishment program...we received a $900,000.00 grant from a doner, to use for the research of this new species.
The DFW has a list of prefered species and Yellowtail, Bass and Halibut are on that list...I'm personally leaning towards Halibut as much science has already been done and it's a species that will stick around the coast as opposed to Yellowtail...with the ban of the gill nets the species has started to rebound but a kick start wouldn't hurt their numbers...and it's amazing how many anglers have yet to catch their first legal Halibut!

Another way to help is to turn in your WSB heads to be scanned for implanted tags...United Anglers had freezers at each landing back in the day and helped transfer the heads to Hubbs...CCA wants to get the program back up to the high standards that UA had set in the past.

I know there are some haters that don't believe in the project...but those of us that raise those little baby WSB are passionate about the program and believe in the good it is doing for the species!

Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote