View Single Post
Old 04-06-2020, 02:36 PM   #4
SoCalEDC

2020 Model

I don't have an older outback to compare it to, but I definitely notice water coming over the bow in the chop in the 4 times I have had the kayak out since getting it a month or so ago. I was riding a trident 13 before, and I don't know that there is a huge difference in how much water gets on me because I've been wearing waders so I feel pretty dry, but just visually the bow on the Trident was taller and didn't look like it was taking as much water over front as the Outback does. There have been a few times when I have gone through a swell or wave/wake and thought to myself "I sure hope that hatch seal is doing its job". Inside of the hull does stay dry fwiw.

I will note, and I do not know if this is an issue on all of the Hobies or just on the new Outback, but significant water will enter the cockpit through the drivewell. It wont flood the cockpit by any means it seems that the cockpit floor is about even with the water level. I have a battery mounted in the hull near the sail mast so it is possible that they kayak is a bit nose heavy, so take this as purely one mans experience.
2020 Hobie Outback SOLD
2021 Stealth Fisha 500
#StealthTribe
SoCalEDC is offline   Reply With Quote