View Single Post
Old 01-21-2021, 04:49 PM   #16
GregAndrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMckroidJr View Post
Sweet. I am surprised that you still have the wire DR line. Swapped mine out for braid to get rid of the humming sound, but after seeing a few of your videos, does not seem like the humming deters the fish at all?

With just a 4lb weight, and the camera mounted on the fin, that is a lot of drag........you must troll super slow? It looks faster in the videos? I am guessing you must be going under 1/2knot for speed to keep everything relatively vertical.

So the purpose of the snap swivel connected in the yellow DR clip is to allow the fish to pull out more line before the weight is released? Otherwise, seems like it would be easier just to attach the line directly to the DR clip.

Looks like you use a 1-6oz sinker about 3-6ft away from your bait? I am surprised at how the fish don't seem to mind the proximity of the sinker. In my heavily fished area off Florida, the "secret" to catching non-migratory fish is to keep the sinker out of sight. For grouper and snapper that means 40ft+ leader. I usually have a 75ft leader on my DR bait and trolling under 1 knot results in triggerfish destroyed baits and missed strikes. I opted for a Blacks DR clip because it resulted in fewer tangles. Kudos for running that rig without getting it all tangled up. Your videos are very inspirational. I am motivated to try your rig out. Thanks.
Before even trying the wire, I replaced it with braid. The wire it comes with only is about 80' long. The hum is coming from the stretched braid vibrating, which the wire would probably not be as prone to? Unlike what most people might think, sound does not seem to be a big factor to fish. Because it travels faster and further under water, they are bombarded with it almost always.

Generally I like to keep between .7 and 1 mph, which would be more of a drift than a troll. Enough to keep my bait moving, cover ground and keep the setup from getting vertical and spinning. Direction and speed of the current relative to my direction will sometimes change things up a bit.

I was getting too many false releases from the line run directly through the release clip. Each false release means cranking it all back up and resetting.

I am running an 8oz sinker almost always. It has to provide enough drag to keep my large baits from swimming around my camera rig. Ideally I would fish longer sinker leaders, but conditions dont allow for that very often. Between the bottom structure and the lack of average visibility, my hands are kinda tied. I could raise it up, but then reviewing the video seeing only the bait for hours on end would be tough to swallow.

You also hit upon the other reason I use the clip (see pic, plastic removed) in the release clip. I can drop my bait down first and lower my camera to it. I don't have to lower them both at the same time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210121_174553[1].jpg (42.4 KB, 150 views)
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote