View Single Post
Old 06-04-2016, 06:44 AM   #1
AngryTurtle
Junior

Quiet morning at LJ 6/3/2016

Took my new (to me) PA12 out to LJ Friday. I have caught a few fish at LJ but am still a newbie, and am still getting my Kayak set up the way i want it and learning all the ropes, so its a mix of shakedown/learning cruise and serious fishing, but I think a am about ready to catch something!

Launched at high tide about 9:00 to fish the outgoing tide. Was under a low overcast, some of the tops of the buildings disappeared into the clouds, but visibility was fine underneath. a few 2 footers at the launch, but punched through those easy enough.

Wind was just a light breeze from the northwest, kept it from getting too hot. Cruised straight out to the point to look for bait. I soon noticed little orange things in the water down about 5 feet, for a while I thought they were kelp float bubbles, but eventually saw one nearer the surface and realized they were tuna crabs. First time I had seen them in real life.

Took a while to find the bait, but there was a bunch out there once i did. Mostly Spanish Macs, but got a few Greenbacks as well. There were a few breaking fish, it was the macs coming to the surface along with the tuna crabs. Didn't see anything larger and nothing was interested in a surface iron.

Cruised around till low tide, but only saw dolphins, a few more jumping baitfish incidents that lasted for a minute or so and settled down. Still no surface iron action at the jumping fish. Was some other kayaks out and a couple of headboats came by, but didnt see anyone land anything. Lots of seals coming right up to the boat, but I was surprised they left my bait completely alone.

Had a minor yard sale in 2 ft of water on the way back in, couldnt decide if I should jump out before the next wave or ride through it. Decided to ride through it and should have jumped out! Had everything secured so it was only a show for the tourists.
AngryTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote