Thread: How many today
View Single Post
Old 08-16-2015, 03:00 PM   #10
Whiteboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dos ballenas View Post
I beg to differ. Fish are quite resilient and able to recover from most injuries, including severe injuries such as shark bites, missed gaffs, missed speargun shots, etc.

In New Zealand there is a tag and release program for yellowtail, or king fish as they call them down there. To tag the fish they gaff it, bring it on board, insert a plastic tag, then release the fish. Lots of these fish are then re-caught months to years later after completely recovering from being gaffed and tagged.....

Yellowtail are a very tough fish. I'm sure most "bleeding" yellows would recover and survive if released. Just make sure you don't release a tired yellowtail when there is a dog around....
There's always dogs around. As far as catch and release goes who is conducting this study I'd love to read it. I find it hard to believe that they have a high survival rate. I have only caught one with physical damage and have seen and caught a lot of fish Lately. I'd say over 100 from LA jolla alone. Only one was injured and that I think was done when sea dog grabbed my fish. Got him back somehow with 4 gashes. So as far as resiliency I would have to see the study myself before I believe it. And my hand is competely rashed up from hand landing these fish the last few trips. It's not an easy idea getting them in fast without wearing them out too bad and getting the hook out without killing them. But I will be releasing anything under 30 lbs from now on. Unless I'm out at home.
Whiteboy is offline   Reply With Quote