View Single Post
Old 07-24-2012, 08:28 PM   #15
Matar
I am just me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosco View Post
When towing Hobie kayaks behind the mothership, should the drive system be installed or removed? Last two Black Pearl trips we had kayaks flip while being towed. Don't recall what models flipped at SBI but last weekend, it was a Hobie. My PA towed 1st boat behind the transom, starboard side with drive installed, flippers in nuetral position. No problem. I did notice other boats in the daisy chain trying to broach coming downswell. Don't know max hull speed of the Hobies, but my guess was we were towing betreen 6 and 8 MPH. Comments welcome. bosco
I believe it was an islander and it was the one that we side tied to the boat. The peddles in the neutral position act as a dagger board. We were having problems that I saw with the last boats as there was no drag to keep them strieght. I would bet money on if we had a rope with a rag tied to the last boat and dragging in the water that would help keep it straight. Also I was talking to Tim and we were watching the boats as the swell would catch the kayak the last ones would surf down the wave and turn. Once Tim upped the speed a couple mph to match the speed of the swell they started to tow better.

that's just my 2 cents.
Matar is offline   Reply With Quote