View Single Post
Old 11-23-2010, 02:46 PM   #13
ful-rac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by garcia0425 View Post
Any advise you could provide for trolling for trout. This weekend should be my first time trolling for trout off my kayak. I've been told the further your line is out the deeper your bait will lay in the water. How far behind your kayak were you trolling the mira shad? I'm guessing you paddle at a very slow pace?

If heard trolling a crappie jig is also a good lure for trout. How would you troll a jig (is the weight of the weighted hook sufficient to get the jig deep enough as you troll)?
Experiment on how far to let your line back, I would start about 50 ft behind the yak and then drop it back every so often. Don't get too ridiculously far behind the yak, some one will definitely run over your stuff. Be aware what other people are doing so you don't run over their stuff also.

As far as speed I like to keep it around 1.5 to 2 knots for the mira shad and the other crankbaits or rapalas and such. If you want to fish deep I would consider using leadcore, I use it and when I'm metering the fish deep, it works pretty well when the fish just aren't biting the surface lures. I might be back out there sometime this weekend probably friday or saturday.

Good Luck!
ful-rac is offline   Reply With Quote