View Single Post
Old 09-10-2006, 07:25 AM   #22
madscientist

You miss the point. Everyone I know was operating under the assumption that the rules had been amended. The comment I made to Adi that got this whole shitstorm started clearly shows that I was under the impression the rules had been clarified back in Jan as we understood it. Are you honestly saying you have never read the rules thread since Jan 10th? Come on.

The rules were ambigious. It was clear that only one exotic would be scored per year. It was not clear exactly how the submission process would work. That's why I asked my original questions, to avoid this type of confusion. The exact same logic was put in place to allow monthly upgrade submissions. The monthly upgrade was NOT in the original rules, but in the thread. If you oppose the one change you must oppose the other, and everyone's upgrade submissions should be disqualified. Don't want to be dishonest.

The bigger point is that this should be about fishing. Neither Adi nor I are pushing the rules change NOW. We are asking that the reasonable view prevail and that we not be punished or constrained because we believed the moderators in the thread. To argue the opposite is to try and prevent someone else from fishing, a position I find less defensible and contrary to the spirit of the site and the contest. No one is harmed under the amended rules. You are just as able to go catch a tuna, then catch a bigger one, as anyone else. It's all about the fish!

It should be pointed out that this is a hypothetical at this point. It is sad that such an issue has to be made out of such a thing. The greatest aspect of last year's WCW was the camarderie and sense of shared accomplishment. Andy, Arne, and I all shared bait and info in the last weeks, despite being locked in a very tight race. I think we all wanted to win, but we wanted to win based on our own actions, not due to other's failings, and certainly not due to a technicality. Otherwise, it's just a silly contest with a pretty tiny payout.