Thread: Yak mako
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2020, 06:30 PM   #14
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowprofile View Post
I’m already ahead of you. I have 3 100-150lb lift floats that inflate with Co2 cartridges and a harpoon with individual darts. No way a flying gaff will stick on a yak, I’ve tried it. You have to get a gill shot and anything over 8ft is hard to control enough to get in the zone and apply enough force (one handed With rod or leader in other hand).

I’m pretty familiar with fish in the 500-800lb range and how to kill them.
There you go.... Sounds like you have your shit together

Yeah the standard large flygaffs are too big to set one armed while sitting in a yak. I still use smaller flygaffs but I make my own and sharpen them razor sharp.

The lift floats and harpoon are ideal. Sounds like you've worked a sword boat.

Good luck

The first time I intentionally target sharks over 200 on a yak I hooked a big T, but after a few hours I realized that there was no way I was going to plane her up even on the eighty pound gear I was using. On a boat I could just powered up and put an angle on her, or at the very least snapped her off, but on a yak I was totally helpless. She just stayed straight down out of sight steadily pulling me out to sea like it was no big thing. It's been a while but I think she finally just spit the hook. Only time I ever wished a big fish off my line, and it was a long paddle back in.
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote