Thread: spear fishing?
View Single Post
Old 05-16-2013, 02:46 AM   #18
THE DARKHORSE

For you bus kid---no charge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus kid View Post
Mako's a Good gun, Riffe if your going to stick with it.

Jim, are you sure he's spearfishing? because if he is I need to get in touch.

Josh are you guiding spear trips?

Whoa whoa whoa.
Hold up.
Lets think this through...
You'll shoot your eye out!

If you haven't seen me around on the water lately, keep looking, I'm there---somewhere.

Since my name's being brought up and it relates to my business, I suppose I should clear up some misconceptions. From a legal standpoint, as a licensed guide for the past five years I've carried a million dollar liability insurance policy. Maybe that's overkill; maybe not. Just what monetary amount allowed me to sleep comfortably at night. And that was just for putting clients on Yellowtail, White Sea Bass and Halibut from a kayak!

Of course, giant Sharks and humungous Black Sea Bass are common bi-catch as well. Species that could easily be more dangerous than our original targets and probably deserve a flag of caution. Oh yeah, careless boat owners who practically drive around blind folded! Not to mention, congested boat traffic when the fishing really gets hot and heavy---which in my opinion still trumps any probability of natural dangers being a realistic concern. It's all relative. So, maybe that million dollar liability insurance policy doesn't sound so extreme after all?

Taking someone with limited experience and putting a $1,000 gun in their hands, then placing them in a kelp-bed loaded with fifty to seventy pound fish---especially with the intention of actually taking a shot on said fish, as of now anyway, isn't a liability that I'm willing to take on.

However, with a pipeline of repeat / V.I.P. clients that I've been built up over the years, a possible extension of my business model is being tested. At the time being these are purely bonus trips, though---for free! Only with clients who have already taken up an interest in spearfishing on their own, I might add. This select portion of my clientele have been invited to share my new obsession. The way I look at it, spearfishing, is nothing more than an extension of the service I already provide. When I'm not pre-fishing for clients, fishing with clients, or fishing off skiffs the days in between---I'm scoping out every bed within driving distance North and South. It's one thing to run the sonar for twelve hours and rely on sight fishing from a tuna-tower; another thing entirely diving to the bottom for eight hours a day. For sure---a real eye opener (pun intended).

My advice to the original poster: please don't take this as a slam or some sort of disrespect, but being that you're asking this question on the internet (much less a kayak fishing website regarding spearguns of all things ) certainly raises a brow. No offense, but internet forums are incredibly misleading in my professional opinion. Especially when it comes to gear advise or techniques.

Why you ask? Simple. There's just too many uneducated opinions. Or worse, brand loyal bias. Typically a toxic combination of both! Often (we're talking about more than 90% of the time) the reader will leave the forum more confused then when they arrived. That's just a fact. An exaggeration you say? Feel free to look back at pretty much any gear question and see for yourself! It's pure comedy more often than not. Same with techniques often published via the net. The few times solid advice is given it's quickly buried in misinformation.

Also, as is typical with internet forums, you left a few giant holes in your question itself. Without telling someone exactly what you'd like to target (are we talking Calico Bass and Sheephead---or 70 lb White Sea Bass and 30 lb+Yellowtail?). Without saying where you'll be hunting beyond just saying, "kelp", it would be impossible for even the likes of ,Terry Maas, to answer your question. You neglected to mention your budget as well. Which, really leaves the door open for every possible suggestion known to man.

For starters, yes, Spearboard would be a step in the right direction. If after a few hours you get sick of all the constant bickering, and you're bored, feel free to check out a recent thread of mine: http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=160805

Tons of great information can be found on that site. Especially in regards to safety. Just realize that you'll have to hunt down the right answers to your questions. And I mean hunt. A simple search isn't going to cut it. Be prepared for the brand loyal bias and boat loads of misinformation, though. It is what it is---an internet forum. Also, might I suggest, doing some soul searching in the process to realistically decide what you'd like to target---and what you're willing to spend. Unfortunately, until you answer the above questions, I really can't offer you any specific advice gun wise. Above all, dive safe!

The gun that slammed me in the face was a Riffe. I take 100% responsibility for the accident; in this case it was clearly the Indian---not the arrow. I mean, come on, I held the damn thing up to my face before I took that first shot; what would you expect! Lesson learned. My point, though, is that in this very thread people are suggesting guns which are very well known in the dive community. For certain things specifically. Unfortunately, the wrong things: lacking proper ballast and being over-powered.

If you want a gun that's way over-priced and kicks like a Mule look no further.