Thread: Personal best
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2012, 07:02 AM   #1
buttchaser
Float Tuber

Personal best

The surf was high and predicted to be 3 feet, I'm standing on the beach listening to the sounds of crashing waves and looking into a white foamed beach from the violent crashing waves. My adrenaline is pumping and I can fill my body tremble as I wait and look at the sets , The sky is gray with a cool morning breeze.
My Rods and reels are all stowed inside the kayak as i prepare to launch.
My Pfd is fastened and my handheld vhf is attached.
I see a window of opportunity and go for it . I pass the foam filled water only to meet face to face with a a black wall of water barreling down on me , I paddle harder to try to make it over the set but the strength of the wave pushes me backward ,and tosses me off the kayak into the water, My kayak is washed up on to the beach . I pick myself up and grab the kayak and see another chance and this time I am over and through the waves .

Off the distance about 3/4 of a mile I see a few private boaters with their lights on and head into that direction to meet up with some of my buddies that launched their kayaks about a half hour before I did .

When I arrived on the grounds , My plan was to target white sea bass , I had a dropper loop rigged up on my 40 lb outfit and a glow and white jigg set up on another rod . I didn't need any bait since I had fresh frozen . I pinned on 2 squids on the dropper loop and sent it down in a 100 ft of water , and also sent the glow and white down with a couple of squid pinned on . With in 2 minutes, my dropper loop set up is bit , I grab the rod from the rod holder and set the hook . The first run had me thinking it was the right kind , and then I soon realized it was something else when it stopped running , I felt head shakes and heavy weight as i began to turn the handle .
I got this fish up to the surface and couldn't believe my eyes when i seen a big brown carpet come up from underneath the kayak .I laid the fish out nice and perfectly on to the right side of the kayak and gaffed her right in the belly , I secured the fish with my game clip .

For the next few minutes this fish tried to kill me , I bleed the fish by popping a few gills and started beating it in the head with my bamboo gaff.
She went 45" and 41.7 lbs

Landing the kayak was the fun part , I stowed all gear and fish down below.
The sets were long and nasty , but the breaks in between were very doable, Of course I took on the biggest and badest wave , I seen a overhead set coming right at me and bailed the kayak .. The 75yd swim back in wasn't bad at all

buttchaser is offline   Reply With Quote